Purpose

There are multiple purposes for this blog. First, I'd like to share with you how mental illness can interfere with or enhance the writer's life. Second, I want to explore a more disciplined approach to the writing life. This blog will hold me accountable as I navigate story throughout my battle with mental illness.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Writing Change-Up

I've come to the conclusion that I need to set my current novel WIP aside and work on some other things. I'm finding that I need to do much more research than I want to do at this point. The reason is that I need to be writing. I do write in a journal, but I need to write fiction so I can improve upon it. And if I'm blocked in my novel because of the need to do too much research (I have OCD and ADD, so I feel I have to know everything about everything) I will never get to practice writing fiction.

Therefore, I've decided to switch to short stories for a couple of months or longer. I also joined a group of writers at Write 1 Sub 1, whose aim is to write AND submit a short story or flash fiction per week. This is indeed a challenge, however, one I think I would like to subject myself to. I'm off to read a little more about it, and to begin work on my first story.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I start W1S1 a little while ago but failed miserably - for a happy reason though, my current WIP got in the way. I want to get back into it though, it was exciting to be submitting something new every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome aboard the Write1Sub1 train! We're glad to have you join the throng.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by.and the well wishes. I'm looking forward to the challenge. See you on the forums. Feel free to come back here and visit, too.

    ReplyDelete