Purpose

There are multiple purposes for this blog. First, I'd like to share with you how mental illness can interfere with or enhance the writer's life. Second, I want to explore a more disciplined approach to the writing life. This blog will hold me accountable as I navigate story throughout my battle with mental illness.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ready...Set...Go - May 2011 Blogathon

Welcome to the first post of May 2011. This has special significance because I belong to a group of bloggers who are participating in a “Blogathon”. The challenge is to produce at least one post per day, every day, throughout the month of May.  Details can be found on Michelle Rafter’s blogquarters, along with advantages you can gain through the discipline of conjuring new material to write every day. 

Throughout the month, I will try my best to stay true to the focus of this website, which is geared toward writers, people who suffer from mental illness, and especially writers who suffer from mental illness. Obviously, this is going to be quite the challenge.  I need more writing discipline, so I welcome it head-on. Hopefully, I’ll maintain some semblance of sanity by the time this thing is over.

Here are some things I’ve done to prepare for the Blogathon:

  •  Kept an “idea sheet” in which I have well over 60 ideas for posts
  • Became proactive and did some monthly todo’s before the month began
  • Did some freewriting every day for about a week
  • Prepared my medicine and vitamin pillbox (only a week ahead, as I have no monthly pillbox)

Here are some things I should have done already, but plan to soon:

  •  Plan out which days I am posting which topic (although this can be variable)
  • Have a weeks or at least 3-4 days of posts already written
  • Organize and de-clutter my efficiency apartment
  • Create a structured daily routine (as I am currently not working – discipline is not that great)
  • Create a daily exercise, yoga, and meditation regimen

I definitely have many things to improve upon to successfully complete this challenge. However, I hope to have achieved a far greater good than what I will have had to sacrifice. And as always, it’s my wish that those of you reading this blog will take something that may be useful to yourself or someone you know.

Thank you for hanging with me, and I hope you continue to visit (even after the blogathon!).

10 comments:

  1. This is perfect for me, since I started a daily blogging schedule. So far I missed a day during April, which is not bad at all. I hope I can keep it up through May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're joining us for the challenge of blogging every day in May. From your to-do lists, it looks like you're off to a great start: pre-writing posts so you're always a few days ahead is an excellent idea. It's also a good idea to create an editorial calendar so you know what post you'll be running on any given day.

    Michelle Rafter
    WordCount

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. Without any preparation at all, I'm in! First post will happen after church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by ralfast, Michelle and Ruth. Good luck, Ruth. Glad you decided to join.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sound like you're well prepared. There will be posts that are hits and misses. Any writer is dogged by doubt. I once heard, "You can't edit a blank page." That's made me just get it on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really looks like you are on top of this challenge and I am looking forward to be reading your posts full of insights, Thank you for coming over and for your kind words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan & Anyes, Thanks for stopping by. I excel at planning, however when it comes to actually getting it done; well, that's another matter. The hope is alive, however.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of depersonalization disorder - however, it sound rather bleak. It also sounds kind of like a cultural disorder as well... I will definitely be checking back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Martin, I am familiar with OCD and also have personal experience with a person with mild obsessive personality disorder. Will enjoy reading your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi globalexclaimer and Tatyanna. Thanks for dropping by. I will be posting about depersonalization disorder and OCD...soon.

    ReplyDelete