Purpose

There are multiple purposes for this blog. First, I'd like to share with you how mental illness can interfere with or enhance the writer's life. Second, I want to explore a more disciplined approach to the writing life. This blog will hold me accountable as I navigate story throughout my battle with mental illness.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

PennWriter's Pre-Conference Seminar

PennWriter's Pre-conference seminars were held on Thursday, 5-12-2011. I attended one called "Many Genres, One Craft" which was a 9-4 session. The cost was a little over $100 and included a lunch and a complimentary copy of the not yet released "Many Genre's, One Craft" book on writing. The book was compiled of mostly new articles written for this release by a number of authors, and edited by Michael Arnzen and Heidi Ruby Miller, both of whom were also article contributors.

The morning section included instruction on the craft of writing fiction, and after lunch it focused on the business end of writing. I had just a few hours of sleep the night before, so I've forgotten quite a lot about the sessions.

We participated in a graded scheme that would inform us if we were either outliners, pantsers, or somewhere in between.  I lean a little more to outlining.

We were introduced to the "FreyReDuv" Plot Method, which unfortunately I don't think I can show due to  copyright. It's not as complex as it sounds. I still need to look into it further.

I wish there was more I could tell, but it was a long tiring day (for me, at least). Who needs sleep, right?

In the following days, I'll talk about each day at the conference in a little more detail, as I have most of my course notes (AND I was more alert!)

2 comments:

  1. It was great to meet you at Pennwriters!

    So glad you took the all-day intensive.

    I'm going to tweet all of your conference reflections. We're trying to keep a little running tab of them all.

    Cheers,
    heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to meet you too, Heidi. Thanks for stopping by. Have a nice one!

    ReplyDelete