Purpose

There are multiple purposes for this blog. First, I'd like to share with you how mental illness can interfere with or enhance the writer's life. Second, I want to explore a more disciplined approach to the writing life. This blog will hold me accountable as I navigate story throughout my battle with mental illness.

Friday, May 6, 2011

ADD and Me

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are considered developmental disorders, and remains a controversial topic. I just learned that ADD is now known as ADHD: Predominately Inattentive Type.

Symptoms that can occur with the Predominately Inattentive Type include:

·         Difficulty following conversations
·         Trouble finishing projects that have already been started
·         Avoidance of projects
·         Misplaces things at home and at work
·         Trouble starting single projects because of the many already started

I can attest to having all of these symptoms described above. I can have many things I want to do or read but find it so difficult to get started on any one thing. So, often I am sitting helplessly in my chair or pacing around in my efficiency apartment. Sometimes I become so frustrated that I’ll just lay on my bed, ball my fist up and pound away on the pillow.

My doctor started me on Ritalin last summer, and the first time I took it, I had such a great feeling of calmness surrounding me. I could actually read a paragraph. I’ve been on Ritalin since, but the effects wear down over time. I would try a timed-release version, but it’s too expensive, and even if I did have insurance, the companies wouldn’t pay because of my age.

One thing I have noted, however, is that since being on Ritalin, I’ve noticed my OCD quieting. Just a bit, but it does seem to help. When I told my doctor that, he admitted to me that that is a fairly common finding. Hey, I’ll take the benefits.

4 comments:

  1. I know of people with these symptoms. I thought maybe they were just busy and had too much on their plates. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually people who don't have ADD can get something done. The Ritalin wouldn't calm them down either; it would speed them up. I just get plain petrified at beginning anything at all, although I try

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our son has ADHD and is on meds. And, actually, "speed-like" meds for people who have ADHD and similar disorders cause them to slow down and have more focus rather than speed up. It happens to affect the wiring of their brains in that way. We've found a tremendous, positive effect from both medication and behavioural therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right! I've actually fallen asleep right when my meds were kicking in. I guess I was focused on going to sleep. lol!

    ReplyDelete