Purpose

There are multiple purposes for this blog. First, I'd like to share with you how mental illness can interfere with or enhance the writer's life. Second, I want to explore a more disciplined approach to the writing life. This blog will hold me accountable as I navigate story throughout my battle with mental illness.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My 5 Favorite Books about Writing

^ This is the one I'm concentrating on at the moment. It's very exercise intensive. It has a lot of freewriting and focused freewriting involved.


^ I've had this one for a while, but am only halfway finished. I plan to read this next, but from the beginning and finish it before starting another.


^ All about critiquing. Once most of my WIP is complete, I'll read this one then attend a physical critique group.


^ I've read part of this, and another of Maass's books. This one tells you how you can put that extra "umph" in your writing to stand out from the rest.


Down Here!

 This one is about how to write the "bad boys and girls" of fiction. I've read part of this. It should come in handy as I have some government bullyish types in my WIP



2 comments:

  1. Hey can you elaborate on the first book? I'm interested in getting myself a copy and I'm not able to find a decent review online. What kind of exercises are in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pavithra,

    I'm half way through "How to be a Writer". It's very exercise intensive, especially with freewriting. Baig goes through most methods by which writers collect information. She calls it building their "content mind". Most of the exercises involve freewriting of some kind. Focused freewriting is narrowing the topic of your freewriting, just a little less broad. I've got so many books in my que that I'm not going to do every exercise, although I will undoubtedly refer back to them as I get time. It's a very good read, with tons of useful information.
    Here's the Amazon link.
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Writer-Building-Creative/dp/1582978050

    ReplyDelete