Purpose

There are multiple purposes for this blog. First, I'd like to share with you how mental illness can interfere with or enhance the writer's life. Second, I want to explore a more disciplined approach to the writing life. This blog will hold me accountable as I navigate story throughout my battle with mental illness.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Succeed with Short Term Goals

Trying to multitask, for one with OCD and ADD, is akin to pulling teeth. It's just damn near impossible. I've got a few writing projects I'm working on, as well as so much reading that I sometimes don't know where or when to begin. I want to read my dozen or so writing books that I've barely even looked at. I want to read my philosophy books. And I need to read science fiction that is similar to my WIP. Not only that, then there are the hi-tech/scifi books I've already read, but would really help to read again because of their similarities to my WIP.

So now, I'm trying to think in smaller loads. How about if it takes me 2 days to read a book from start to finish (at least fiction, I can do this), and at the very least spend 1 hour per day of at least thinking (preferably writing) about my novel. Even freewriting will work, as long as it has something to do with my WIP.

Just the thought of having completed one book in a day or two seems fascinating. What? A whole book read? Yes, if you can focus and not worry about all the other things (the trivial ones at least) that pop up in our lives. You'll have to be the judge of that. I think that would give me the spark to be even more goal oriented, because at that point, I know that I can do it; it is attainable. Not as futile as I once thought.

If you are anything like me and feel totally overwhelmed, then take a look at your project (whatever it may be) and imagine it as small chunks. Write them down, and mark them off when they are completed. I'm sure you will find it immensely rewarding.

Now, I'm off to create my short term goal sheets. However, do not forget about the long term goal either. You have to have a big picture, just don't focus on it all the time. Wish me Luck! And good luck to you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment